Watts Martin’s web space
Download (v2.01, 2012-05-14)
This is a set of OS X services that contain the following commands:
- Markdown to HTML: Replaces selected text written in Markdown with the corresponding HTML.
- HTML to Markdown: The reverse of the previous: replaces selected HTML with the corresponding Markdown.
- Copy Markdown as RTF: Copies the selected Markdown text to the clipboard as rich text, suitable for pasting into TextEdit or a word processor.
- Paste as Markdown: The reverse of the previous: converts rich text on the clipboard into Markdown and pastes it into a document.
In addition, there are two MultiMarkdown-specific variants that require MultiMarkdown 3 to be installed as
/usr/local/bin/markdown. These services will do nothing without MultiMarkdown. (Well, they’ll give you errors, which is something, but not something good.)
- MultiMarkdown to HTML
- Copy MultiMarkdown as RTF
The first four services are wrappers around other people’s work, contained in the services:
- Markdown (John Gruber) v1.01
- SmartyPants (John Gruber) v1.51
- html2text.py (Aaron Swartz) v3.200.3
The last two services are wrappers around Fletcher Penney’s work, not contained in the services:
To the best of my knowledge, distribution as Automator-created OS X services does not violate the licenses, as the source code is not only linked here but readily available within the services if you open them in Automator. If you have scripts installed in other places, or need to add command line options and tweaks, you’ll have to make those changes yourself—although if you need to do that you probably know how, right?
Copy the files to
This package includes John Gruber’s Markdown and SmartyPants and Aaron Swartz’s html2text scripts. Those scripts are copyright to their respective authors, and continue to be licensed under their chosen licenses.
The small bits of script I’ve done are Copyright (c) 2012 Watts Martin. Redistributions in any form must retain the above copyright notice, the attribution for included packages (with links), and the following disclaimer.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS “AS IS” AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
- 2.01, 2012-05-14: Turn off wrapping in
- 2.00, 2012-05-14: Add Paste as Markdown; include scripts in services; add MMD wrappers.